Subscribe in a reader

Monday 11 April 2016

Subject: Disregard That Last Email... OR Some Tips for Email Etiquette

I've done it and maybe you have to — sent an email that I immediately realized I didn't need to, that I shouldn't have or that I might have sent to the wrong recipient. Or, what I do too many times to recall, send it so quickly that I forget to attach the document that was the purpose of the email in the first place.


Photo Credit: midwest.communications via Compfight cc

Regardless of the types of etiquette faux pas we might have made, it helps to sometimes think about how we use our email to try to avoid mistakes and keep it professional, especially because email continues to be an essential part of our daily work. In fact, one study found that answering and replying to emails takes up about 25% of our work week.


Image from mckinsey.com

I recently found an article, "15 Email-etiquette Rules Every Business Professional Should Know," on the Business Insider website. It gives a few quick tips to help keep your email professional and some that might help you avoid making a mistake. I especially like the reminder about considering whether to "Reply All" and the tip to enter the addresses into the recipient field after composing the email.

This is worth the quick read, as both a reminder and maybe for a new tip or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment